What’s on your ultimate list of places to visit in the United States?
If you work for Lonely Planet, then your answer is likely The Grand Canyon or one of the USA’s famous national parks.
The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Yellowstone ranked 1, 2, and 3 in LP’s ranking of the best places to visit in the United States. This list of 500 U.S. destinations is available in the new book Ultimate USA Travel List.
Here are the top 20 places to visit in the United States, according to the editors and writers of Lonely Planet:
- Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
- Yosemite National Park, California
- Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
- The MET, New York
- Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah
- Ellis Island, New York
- Volcanoes National Park, Hawai’i
- National Museum of African American History and Culture, Washington DC
- Denali National Park, Alaska
- Na Pali Coast State Wilderness Park, Hawai’i
- Joshua Tree National Park, California
- National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel, Tennessee
- Central Park, New York
- Golden Gate Bridge, California
- White Sands National Park, New Mexico
- Muir Woods, California
- Crater Lake, Oregon
- Freedom Trail, Massachusetts
- Glacier National Park, Montana
- Sept 11 Memorial & Museum, New York
You can read more about Lonely Planet’s Ultimate United States Travel List—and the process behind the rankings—here.
Have you visited all of these places? Did LP get the top 20 rankings right? What’s at the top of your list?